Monday, March 23, 2009

"Twentysomething"

So, I was at a Christian bookstore outlet with some family members this past weekend.  I'm not really one to frequent my local Christian bookstore, but my sister-in-law had a gift card to use, so I scanned the bookshelves and glanced through the music section.  Then, I found this book called "Twentysomething" by Margaret Feinberg.  The subtitle read, "surviving and thriving in the real world."  I was interested because my sister Suzanne is thinking about writing a book about this topic.  I flipped the book over and read the brief synopsis on the back cover... my eyes widened in disbelief.  From the sound of it, this book talks about me and my life right now!  I bought it and haven't been able to put it down.  So far, I've officially recognized that I am experiencing what's called a quarterlife crisis.  It sounds intense, but... well, it kind of is.  I guess more and more twenty-something-year-olds are experiencing this quarterlife crisis - realizing that life isn't that American dream, in fact, it's really hard work - nonstop hard work without many quick rewards; a mental adjustment to say the least.  Here I was thinking I was uncharacteristically depressed all the time for no clear reason - thanks to this book, Margaret has taken all my jumbled thoughts and frustrations and put them on paper.  There have been a few places where I just want to laugh out loud because it's almost as if I'm reading one of my own journal entries!  Really, it's uncanny!  Anyway, all that to say that this book resonates with me and what my life is like right now.  I'm comforted to know I'm not alone in this season of life.

No comments: